Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 200 foot cartridges?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    In Roger's thread about his conference call with Kodak he brings up the possibility of the re-introduction of the 200' cart. I've never seen a 200' cart in all my life. My Elmo 612S-XL is supposed to take the 200' cart but a 50' seems to take up all the available space. Was the 200' the same size as the 50'? Did they, by some magic or engineering virtuosity, manage to cram 300% more film in there?

    When I got the Elmo I noticed that the top of the cartridge space comes off. This did not seem like a good thing to me so I stuck it back on with gaffer tape. Now another possibility occurs to me. Does the top come off to allow a big oblong cartridge to stick out the top of the camera?

    400' of 16mm or 1000' of 35mm both come out as 11 minutes of film at 24fps. DPs usually count on only 10 minutes. A 200' super8 should give 9 minutes with 1 minute for rollout. That would be great.

  2. #2
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Actor,

    I have only held two 200' sound carts in my hand in my entire life and I have never done a side-by-side comparison with silent 50' carts. However, judging from my observations, the 200' carts are taller and slightly wider.

    Someone with more experience than I can provide further details.

    Tom

  3. #3
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Just to touch on the 200' cart issue, I have repeatedly read a rumor here and on S8 Forum that Kodak destroyed either their sound striping equipment and/or their 200' molds. I think the former is the truth rather than the latter.

    However, judging from the receptiveness of the two execs to Roger's 200' cart suggestion, I would venture to say that the schematics for the 200' cart are still buried somewhere in a Eastman Kodak plant.

    Tom

  4. #4
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have seen a few old 200 foot rolls on ebay. On the top of your camera there is probably a door that flips open to make way for a magazine. But your question sort of hits on a point i tried to subtly raise on the other thread. We have the cameras, but who still has the magazines? Thinking that these were additional options offered on some of the top of the line models, i'm not sure that many people would be able to take advantage. Plus, how well did they work and how hard were they to load? Still, it would be nice to have the option of being able to shoot 10 minute loads. I think the people who could would be shooting lots of film.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The only models I know of that took the loads were Elmo and Nizo. Here's a picture of Nizo 6080 with the magazine on top:
    http://www.mondofoto.com/cameras/Nizo_6080_4a.jpg

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by c_77:
    We have the cameras, but who still has the magazines? .... how well did they work and how hard were they to load?</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Oh, man! They were great and just as easy to load as the 50 foot cart. The 200' cartridges came pre-loaded by Kodak. You just rip the plastic cart from the box and slam it in the chamber and close the door. As easy as putting a VHS tape in a camcorder. You got about 10 minutes or so on a load. Sweeeeeeet.

    And, actor, to answer your question, yes the door comes off your Elmo so that the 200 foot load sticks up topside. Some cameras had a flip top and and some had a removable stop. Same dif.

    Roger

  7. #7
    TA 152
    Guest TA 152's Avatar

    Post

    Nizo with a 200ft cartridge

    [img]ftp://ftp.filmshooting.com/upload/pictures/200ftcart.jpg[/img]

    R

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Screener's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Right, it was a 200 foot pre-loaded magazine. You returned it with the film.

    I believe Sankyo and Chinon also made cameras that accepted the carts. I think I saw some pix in the old FIlmmaker Magazines on my shelf... have to look.

    I doubt they would go back inot manufacturing if only two brands (elmo and nizo) were available to load it.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So the 200 foot loads aren't magazines really but more like bigger cartridges made by Kodak? You just go and buy the whole unit; preloaded magazine and all? This sounds even better!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Rob Skates's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Several companies made cameras that accepted the 200' cart. Beaulieu 6008, 7008, Chinon (the model # is something 200?), Elmo 1012sxl, 612sxl, Kodak supermatic 200, Nizo 6080 etc., SankyoXL61-200. There is a book by Lenny Lipton that would be of interest to most that visit this board. LIPTON ON FILM-MAKING. A great source for s8 info. Check your local used book store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •